Cook Islands 1 Dollar Silver Coin 2016 Brexit

BrexitCook Islands 1 Dollar Silver Coin 2016 Queen Elizabeth II

Cook Islands 1 Dollar Silver Coin 2016 Brexit
First coin commemorating this historic day for the United Kingdom & EU. In a historic vote on June 23rd, 2016, the United Kingdom chose to leave the European Union.

The obverse of this coin displays an effigy of Queen Elizabeth II. This portrait of Her Majesty was created by Ian Rank-Broadley. All around, the inscriptions: “ELIZABETH II”, “Cook Islands” - the issue country, “1 Dollar” - the face value and “2016” – the year of issue.

The reverse features the Brexit design. This side is inscribed with the date of the event "JUNE 23, 2016." Great Britain has been colorized in this design with the colors of the Union Jack. There is even an arrow in the design pointing away from the European Union countries.

Country:              Cook Islands.
Denomination:     1 Dollar.
Year of Issue:      2016.
Composition:       Silver.
Weight in Grams: 3 g.
Dimensions:         26 mm.
Grade:                 GEM Proof.
Finish:                  Colorized Proof.
Purity:                  .999.
Mintage:              2,016.
Mint:                    Mayer Mint.

The United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union is widely known as Brexit, a portmanteau of "British" and "exit". Following a referendum held on 23 June 2016 in which 52% of votes cast were in favour of leaving the EU, the UK government intends to invoke Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union, the formal procedure for withdrawing, by the end of March 2017. This, within the treaty terms, would put the UK on a course to leave the EU by March 2019. Prime Minister Theresa May, elected by the ruling Conservative Party in the wake of the referendum, has promised a bill to repeal the European Communities Act 1972 and to incorporate existing EU laws into UK domestic law. The terms of withdrawal have not yet been negotiated; in the meantime, the UK remains a full member of the European Union.
  The UK joined the European Economic Community (EEC), a predecessor of the EU, in 1973, and confirmed its membership in a 1975 referendum by 67% of the votes. Historical opinion polls 1973–2015 tended to reveal majorities in favour of remaining in the EEC, EC or EU. In the 1970s and 1980s, withdrawal from the EEC was advocated mainly by some Labour Party and trade union figures. From the 1990s, withdrawal from the EU was advocated mainly by some Conservatives and by the newly founded UK Independence Party (UKIP).

The term "Brexit"
Brexit (like its early variant, Brixit) is a portmanteau of "Britain" and "exit". It was derived by analogy from Grexit, referring to a hypothetical withdrawal of Greece from the eurozone (and possibly also the EU). The term Brexit may have first been used in reference to a possible UK withdrawal from the EU by Peter Wilding in a Euractiv blog post on 15 May 2012. The terms "hard Brexit" and "soft Brexit" are much used unofficially, and are understood to describe the prospective relationship between the UK and the EU after withdrawal, ranging from hard, that could involve the UK trading with the EU like any other non-EU-member country under World Trade Organisation rules but with no obligation to accept free movement of people, to soft, that might involve retaining membership of the EU single market for goods and services and at least some free movement of people, according to European Economic Area rules.

Results of the United Kingdom European Union membership referendum, 2016
The result was announced on the morning of 24 June: 51.9% voted in favour of leaving the European Union and 48.1% voted in favour of remaining a member of the European Union. Comprehensive results are available from the UK Electoral Commission Referendum Results site. A petition calling for a second referendum attracted more than four million signatures, but was rejected by the government on 9 July.